The Problem with I-Statements – 051
LISTEN TO THE SHOW:
I-Statements are a technique often recommended by counselors and therapists to help with communication.
They’re supposed to reduce defensiveness when trying to resolve conflicts by focusing on how you feel, rather than attacking the other person’s behavior.
As a school counselor, I used to teach I-Statements to my students until I realized that they were mostly ineffective and dis-empowering.
Join me for this episode as I explain my thoughts about I-Statements and a more useful way to go about solving problems.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL DISCOVER:
- The difference between I-Statements and You-Statements.
- How I-Statements can be problematic and cause you to be in emotional childhood.
- How and when to talk to your child about a conflict.
- How I recommend using a different version of I-Statements to create more awareness of your thoughts.
FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Sex Starved Marriage – TED Talk by Michele Weiner-Davis
- Episode 036 – Emotional Adulthood
- Episode 035 – Consequences with Love
- Schedule your FREE mini-session with Pam here
- Send a mama friend links to the Less Drama More Mama podcast: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify
- Leave a review in iTunes