Thoughts in the Basement: Unpacking Beliefs About Race – 096
LISTEN TO THE SHOW:
While I don’t go around making racist remarks or consciously thinking racists thoughts, I know that just by being a white person in America, I’m unwittingly contributing to the racism that exists.
And I now know that being non-racist isn’t the same as being anti-racist.
Over the past week, I did a lot of reading, listening, and thinking about my own beliefs and thoughts about race.
In today’s episode, I share some of what I’ve discovered so far.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL DISCOVER:
- The three levels of human consciousness.
- A metaphor for the subconscious mind that’s useful to me right now.
- Why it can be so difficult to examine some of our subconscious thoughts.
- Some steps I’m taking to educate myself and begin to change on a personal level.
FEATURED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla Saad
- How to Be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- New Kid by Jerry Craft
- 31 Children’s books to support conversations on race, racism and resistance
- Anti-Racism Resources
- Better Than Happy podcast with Jody Moore
- Schedule your FREE mini-session with me here.
- Send a mama friend links to the Less Drama More Mama podcast here.
- Subscribe to get email updates on webinars and special offers here.
- Leave a review in Apple Podcasts